Closing a sales deal, asking for more time to complete a project, or simply building a relationship from a cold sell into a long-term commitment: there are many reasons why taking a client out to dinner is a vastly important aspect of the business relationship, and that’s why it’s become an integral part of the deal. The word ‘schmooze’ has taken on a somewhat negative connotation over the years, however its origins refer to something along the lines of an easy-going chat. But regardless of whether you’re schmoozing or chatting, networking or mingling, consulting or conferring – selecting the perfect business-grade venue for your VIP meal can set the stage for a successful outcome. Choosing the right restaurant is easier said than done. There are many factors you should take into consideration when determining where to dine:
- Is your client a foodie or a picky eater?
- Would they like to be wined and dined at a fancy place or prefer a casual night out in a friendly atmosphere?
- If you’re both traveling, should you consider a restaurant by a tourist attraction?
- Will there even be room for your party?
- And of course, the logistics: Is there valet? Can you make a reservation? Are the customer service ratings on par?